Nearby residents react to Cedar Street shooting

<p>Police tape surrounds an apartment complex on the 200 block of Cedar street, Jan. 31, 2014.  Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Police tape surrounds an apartment complex on the 200 block of Cedar street, Jan. 31, 2014. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Police responded to a shooting at about 8:45 p.m. Friday in an apartment in the 200 block of Cedar Street.

East Lansing police Lt. Steve Gonzalez confirmed one person sustained severe injuries in the shooting. He said police have not made in the arrest, but declined to offer any further details.

A text message alert was sent out to students at about 11 p.m. warning them of the shooting.

Many nearby residents did not hear the shots fired and didn’t know about the shooting until emergency service vehicles responded.

Economics junior Raunak Navalakha, who lives in the building where the shooting occurred, said he was asleep and did not hear anything at the time. He said residents are now allowed to leave the building.

Human biology sophomore Mike Tobar said he heard activity outside his room and didn’t think anything of it. It wasn’t until he saw police and an ambulance that he knew something was wrong.

“My roommate saw a cop car and ambulance, so we checked it out,” he said.

Advertising sophomore Eric Lash was visiting friends after the shots were fired.

“It is scary, I don’t want to downplay that, but I don’t think it is going to happen again anytime soon,” he said. “MSU is a pretty safe campus.”

Some students were not happy about the amount of time it took police to send information about the shooting.

Urban planning junior Nick Tafelsky said he was disappointed in the delayed response.

“The lack of communication between the East Lansing police and the MSU police is embarrassing,” he said. “With all of the school shootings as of late, it’s frustrating and terrifying that it took two hours to get this information out to students.”

Tafelsky said he called to complain to the East Lansing police and was met with more frustration.

“The cadet I spoke to immediately blamed the MSU police, which I honestly expected,” he said.

East Lansing police at the scene said a statement would be sent out Saturday during the day.

Share and discuss “Nearby residents react to Cedar Street shooting” on social media.