A place to jam

<p>Animal science sophomore Jeanette Cortese writes lyrics in her notebook for a song her and her bandmate, genetics and psychology sophomore Megan O&#8217;Donovan are working on Feb. 7, 2014, during a Guitar Club jam session in Holmes Hall. Cortese and O&#8217;Donovan&#8217;s band is called the Near Futures. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Animal science sophomore Jeanette Cortese writes lyrics in her notebook for a song her and her bandmate, genetics and psychology sophomore Megan O’Donovan are working on Feb. 7, 2014, during a Guitar Club jam session in Holmes Hall. Cortese and O’Donovan’s band is called the Near Futures. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

Among MSU’s many registered student organizations, the Guitar Club is one that might have a quiet voice in publicity, but a loud one in musical sound.

?On Friday evenings inside Holmes and Bessey Halls’ classrooms, one can hear the sound of an amplifier’s feedback and then any kind of Rock n’ Roll. The nights turn dull lecture hall is transformed into a guitarist jam session with the members of the MSU Guitar Club.

In the last year, the club’s original 6-8 members has grown to about 25, founder and president Adam Eggleston said. Many are students who love guitar but have a hard time finding a place to play within the cramped layout of their dorm rooms.

Eggleston said he started the club to give musicians their own space for creativity.

“I wanted it to be a place where beginner guitarists could come and learn from other guitarists, to have a place to meet other (guitarists) and just a place to play,” Eggleston said.

Eggleston added that the club has helped improve his guitar skills and that he is always trying to find ways to grow.

“I’d like to see more consistent performances at open mic nights,” he said.

Human biology freshman and club member Dante Scott said the group is a great place for him to come and jam out with other guitarists. Scott also uses the guitar club’s jam sessions to practice with his bandmate and no preference freshman Ray Ito on songs for Steep Impact, a group they started.

“If someone needs help learning a cord, I’d help some people learn cords, but it’s more of a fun thing, like jamming out. You can learn stuff from other people if you need it.”

Share and discuss “A place to jam ” on social media.