Reports: 2015 football recruit body slams security guard, charged with assault and battery

Jayru Campbell, a 2015 quarterback recruit and verbal commit to MSU, is in police custody and has been charged with assault and battery after body slamming a Cass Tech High School security guard on Wednesday, according to media reports.

A video of Campbell slamming the security guard leaked across the internet and other social media after the altercation occurred on Wednesday.

Cass Tech football head coach Thomas Wilcher told Detroit television station WXYZ that Campbell did “get into trouble at school.”

This is not the first time Campbell has been in hot water. Campbell will miss the first game of the upcoming 2014 season as the result of a suspension for punching an opposing player in the postgame handshake line last season.

Campbell is a four-star prospect that has verbally committed to MSU for the fall of 2015. According to Rivals.com, Campbell is ranked the ninth-best quarterback prospect in the country and had offers to Alabama, Notre Dame and Wisconsin before selecting MSU.

Campbell has been a star on the gridiron, leading Cass Tech to back-to-back state championships during his freshman and sophomore seasons. Last year, Cass Tech also made it to the state semifinals.

Because of NCAA rules, MSU officials are not allowed to speak publicly about a recruit before the recruit has signed a letter of intent. Campbell simply has only given MSU a verbal commitment, not a letter of intent.

Share and discuss “Reports: 2015 football recruit body slams security guard, charged with assault and battery” on social media.