Purdue University student fatally shot

A Purdue University student was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon when a gunman entered the university’s Electrical Engineering Building.

A press conference regarding the shooting was held by Purdue’s Provost Tim Sands later in the afternoon, where he confirmed the death of one male student and the detainment of a suspect by the Purdue Police Department.

Police believe the deceased student was the shooter’s only target, according to a report from the Purdue Exponet.

Sands also said the campus is safe and classes are back in session.

Communications and Brand Strategy officials at MSU are in an emergency meeting about the shooting, according to CABS executive assistant Jackie Fondren.

The university has released the following statement:

“Our thoughts are with our Big Ten colleagues at Purdue University in the wake of today’s tragic shooting. We offer our support and sympathy to the friends and family of the victim, as well as the entire Purdue community.”

UPDATE:

President Simon spoke about the incident at University Council, where she said officials are monitoring the situation to see if there is any pattern emerging that may cause an immediate threat at MSU.

Simon also said the shooting appeared to be isolated and not something akin to recent elementary or high school shootings.

She said it appeared to be a graduate student who was killed in the incident.

Share and discuss “Purdue University student fatally shot” on social media.