Living City - Stepping up to save lives

<p>Critical Care resident Jayme Hoffberg, left, and veterinary technician Rose Wahl comfort Daley as he donates blood Jan. 21, 2014, at the Small Animal Clinic. Wahl keeps photos of current and past donors on her whiteboard and she loves getting to know the donors with each visit. Julia Nagy/The State News </p>

Critical Care resident Jayme Hoffberg, left, and veterinary technician Rose Wahl comfort Daley as he donates blood Jan. 21, 2014, at the Small Animal Clinic. Wahl keeps photos of current and past donors on her whiteboard and she loves getting to know the donors with each visit. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For Boxer/Pitbull mix Daley, donating blood isn’t a ruff time. In fact, it often ends with treats.

The Veterinary Teaching Hospital blood donor program currently has about 70 volunteer dogs and cats who donate blood to help other animals.

Veterinary technician Rose Wahl said the volunteer base they have is incredible. When a dog or cat is in dire need of blood, she often can call in volunteers and they’ll rearrange their schedules to make sure they can save other animals.

“It’s very fun to see the service it provides and to see everyone pulling together to save one dog,” Wahl said.

Critical Care resident Jayme Hoffberg started her residency at the hospital in 2011 and her dog Daley became a donor right away. As a critical care resident, Hoffberg wanted her dog to help out.

“It’s great to see his blood going in and saving another animal,” Hoffberg said.

Share and discuss “Living City - Stepping up to save lives ” on social media.