Time to jam

This year marks the fifth anniversary of “Together…Let’s Jam!,” a walk-in music session conducted by the MSU Community Music School and sponsored by the Capital Area Down Syndrome Association. Music therapists Cindy Edgerton and Amber Teunis discuss the importance of music opportunities for special needs children and adults.

Photo by Katie Abdilla | The State News

As a student at MSU, Amber Teunis had little exposure to teaching children with special needs.? But when she began working as a music therapist at the MSU Community Music School, or CMS, the alumna discovered a whole new side of teaching.?

Now a music therapist at CMS, Teunis assists music therapy program director Cindy Edgerton with several programs, including “Together … Let’s Jam!,” a walk-in session held monthly and sponsored by the Capital Area Down Syndrome Association.

She said it is crucial to make music available for everyone, including children and adults with special needs.?

“To be able to have that primitive part is such an important part of culture in general, and to have that accessible to everyone — it’s a beautiful thing,” Teunis said.?

Last year, CMS celebrated the fifth year of “Together…Let’s Jam!” Typically, Edgerton and Teunis lead the hourlong session with bells, piano, drums and other instruments.?

For Edgerton, the anniversary marks five years of celebrating abilities and learning new skills through music. ?

“So much of their lives they focus on disabilities,” Edgerton said. “To give them time to say ‘let’s forget about that and focus on what you can do’ — it is so important.”

Share and discuss “Time to jam” on social media.