Sunday, May 12, 2024

MSU wins Big Ten championship, earns Rose Bowl bid

<p>The Spartans celebrate sophomore quarterback Connor Cook&#8217;s most valuable player award and their win over Ohio State Dec. 7, 2013, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championships. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 34-24. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

The Spartans celebrate sophomore quarterback Connor Cook’s most valuable player award and their win over Ohio State Dec. 7, 2013, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championships. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 34-24. Julia Nagy/The State News

INDIANAPOLIS — The Spartans have won the Big Ten championship, earning their first trip to the Rose Bowl since 1988.

No. 10 MSU jumped out on No. 2 Ohio State early, regrouped from a major comeback and finished a 34-24 win at Lucas Oil Stadium to earn the program’s first conference championship since 2010, and first outright crown since the 1987 season.

After the Spartans jumped out to an early 17-0 lead, the potent Buckeye offense found its grove and ripped off 24 unanswered points, igniting the crowd in the process.

Sophomore quarterback Connor Cook passed for a career-high 304 yards and three touchdowns, one of which went to junior receiver Keith Mumphery, whose 84 receiving yards also were a career best.
Ohio State’s run gave it a 24-17 advantage with 5:36 on the clock in the third quarter.

The Spartans responded with another 17-point run to put the game away, including Cook’s third touchdown pass and a determined 26-yard run from junior running back Jeremy Langford.

Share and discuss “MSU wins Big Ten championship, earns Rose Bowl bid” on social media.