College of Veterinary Medicine dean to resign next September

College of Veterinary Medicine Dean Christopher Brown recently announced he will resign in September 2014, sending the university on the hunt for his replacement.

Brown’s resignation makes for the fourth college dean position currently unfulfilled at the university.

Other open dean positions include the College of Engineering, the College of Communication Arts and Sciences and International Studies and Programs, all of which are at various stages in their search processes.

However, it is normal for universities to have so many leadership vacancies at one time, said Terry Curry, associate provost and associate vice president for academic human resources.

He said deans often aspire to become provosts, and provosts eventually want to become presidents.

On average, deans serve for three and a half years, he said.

Appointed dean in 2006, Brown’s resignation will come at the end of his eighth year of service.

In an email announcing his resignation, Brown said he plans to remain at MSU as a faculty member to focus on development activities and international programs if the new dean is agreeable.

“The campus and the college have been through some challenging times over the last years, and many lie ahead,” he said in the email.

“The veterinary profession, and academic veterinary medicine in particular, are changing rapidly,” he said. “I think that the time is right for a new leader for our college to come and help build on the significant achievements you all have made, in spite of the difficult times.”

Brown first became a professor at MSU in 1979 and taught until 1994.

From 1994 until his eventual return to MSU in 2006, he held veterinary medicine leadership positions at two universities.

The Provost’s Office soon will appoint an interim dean for the college and develop a search committee to start the transition process.

A decision hasn’t been made on a timeline for replacing Brown, Curry said.

Share and discuss “College of Veterinary Medicine dean to resign next September” on social media.