Charlie Waller, son of MSU history professor, dies

<p>Four-year-old East Lansing resident Charlie Waller plays with his godmother and Wisconsin resident Carrie Green on Friday morning, Oct. 26, 2012, at the Waller&#8217;s home. Waller was diagnosed with diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, which is an inoperable brain stem cancer that afflicts mostly young children. Natalie Kolb/The State News</p>

Four-year-old East Lansing resident Charlie Waller plays with his godmother and Wisconsin resident Carrie Green on Friday morning, Oct. 26, 2012, at the Waller’s home. Waller was diagnosed with diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, which is an inoperable brain stem cancer that afflicts mostly young children. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Charlie Waller, a 5-year-old East Lansing resident who battled a rare form of brain cancer for most of his life, died early Thursday morning, according to a statement released by his family.

Charlie reportedly died peacefully at home at 12:25 a.m. Thursday.

“He lived his last conscious hours as he did the rest of his short existence: summoning friends and family, with weakening hands, to sit with him and to give and receive affection,” his father, John Waller, said in the statement. “Charlie has left a powerful legacy by bringing laughter and friendship to so many.”

Just before his third birthday, Charlie was diagnosed with diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, a rare and inoperable tumor on the brain stem. Despite the odds, he lived much longer than his predicted life expectancy of nine to 12 months, attending Marble Elementary School and taking part in many activities.

During his life, he and his family inspired the East Lansing community as they raised funds and awareness for other children living with life-threatening illness. The Art for Charlie Foundation raised $60,000 for the cause at its most recent event, held Nov. 14.

A memorial service is scheduled for Thursday, Dec. 19 at The People’s Church of East Lansing. A time has not yet been set.

Share and discuss “Charlie Waller, son of MSU history professor, dies” on social media.