'Burn this Couch' sign post removed from ELPD Facebook page

The East Lansing Police Department has removed a Facebook post attempting to identity an MSU fan who held up a ‘Burn this Couch’ sign at the Big Ten Championship game.

“(Police) would like to identify the person holding this ‘Burn the couch’ sign at the game Saturday. You’re [sic] tip can remain anonymous,” the department posted on Monday.

The Facebook post — and its reaction from the MSU and local community — has already been featured on websites like Buzzfeed and Deadspin.

It’s unclear whether the Facebook post was removed because police are no longer pursuing the man or because he’s already been identified.

When asked to clarify, East Lansing police Capt. Jeff Murphy said any new information from the department only will be coming in the form of media releases.

“We don’t give details every time we do something, it’s all part of an ongoing investigation,” Murphy said. “If there’s anything pertinent, we’ll release it.”

But the ELPD has posted several photos on their Facebook page today, continuing to seek tips and identities of those involved in Saturday’s ‘civil disturbance.’

“The rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of these individuals will be on a case-by-case basis and depend on the information given and type of crime,” the department posted. “The rewards will generally range from $100 to $500 and will be determined after the investigation is complete. One reward per case.”

MSU and East Lansing police departments have offered up to $20,000 in reward money for tips that could lead to the conviction of anyone involved in the chaotic aftermath of Saturday’s football game.

Share and discuss “'Burn this Couch' sign post removed from ELPD Facebook page” on social media.