Women's basketball up on Detroit-Mercy at halftime

<p>Freshman guard Tori Jankoska plays defense against University of Detroit guard Reyna Montgomery Nov. 20, 2013, at the Breslin. <span class="caps">MSU</span> defeated UofD 80-41. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Freshman guard Tori Jankoska plays defense against University of Detroit guard Reyna Montgomery Nov. 20, 2013, at the Breslin. MSU defeated UofD 80-41. Margaux Forster/The State News

It was the half of the jumpshot for both teams, but the No. 21 MSU women’s basketball team is leading Detroit-Mercy, 42-22, at Breslin Center.

The Spartans started the game off with an opening jumper from the top of the key by redshirt freshman guard Aerial Powers, shortly followed by a corner 3-pointer by senior guard Klarissa Bell.

Bell also was a part of a nice passing combination by the Spartans. After receiving a long pass in transition from Powers, senior guard Kiana Johnson got the ball while falling out of bounds and tipped it to Bell for a layup.

Detroit-Mercy guard Senee Shearer hit a 3-pointer to briefly tie the game at 11, but MSU started to pull away with 3-pointers by freshman guard Tori Jankoska, Bell, redshirt freshman guard Branndais Agee and sophomore guard Cara Miller on four of the next six possessions to give MSU a 23-13 point lead.

With less than 10 minutes left in the half, MSU proceeded to go on a 13-0 run that included two free throws by Pickrel who was fouled flagrantly on a fast break layup.

The Spartans got the ball back and Jankoska followed with another 3-pointer.

Detroit-Mercy guard Megan Hatter ended the run with a 3-pointer of her own.

After getting four fouls in just four minutes against then-No. 23 Dayton, Agee only had a foul and hit a couple jumpers against Detroit-Mercy, as well as grab four rebounds and blocked two shots.

Bell and Jankoska each have eight points. Junior forward Becca Mills leads the rebounding attack with five, and four others have four rebounds. Johnson leads with five assists.

MSU held Detroit-Mercy to just 29 percent (8-28) shooting, and 18 percent (3-17) from beyond the 3-point arc.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball up on Detroit-Mercy at halftime” on social media.