Online tools to boost study skills

As the intensity of class work continues to increase and finals week looms closer, students might be hunting for ways to maximize their studying and ward off procrastination. Below are a few websites geared to help increase productivity.

Khan Academy

www.khanacademy.org

Helping high school and college students alike since 2006, Khan Academy is a staple in any student’s repertoire of websites and apps to know. The website offers thousands of easy to follow video tutorials for subjects ranging from calculus to chemistry to history courses.

Wolfram Alpha

www.wolframalpha.com

This website operates as a calculator and a search engine all in one. It accepts free-form input and then computes it to yield an answer. Each answer also provides a breakdown about all of the basic facts of the subject. For example, if you put in the phrase “two slices of Swiss cheese,” Wolfram Alpha provides a thorough analysis of all of the nutritional facts associated with it.

StayFocusd

It’s easy to open your laptop with the mindset of getting work done, but somehow, you manage to find yourself scrolling through your Facebook newsfeed and clicking the ‘like’ button. This Google Chrome extension tackles that exact issue of procrastination by allowing you to block distracting websites for however long is needed. It even allows the blocking of specific content. Additionally, it can be configured so that you only get a specific amount of free time to browse whatever you want online. For the extension to work, the user must strictly use Google Chrome.

Evernote

www.evernote.com

Evernote is a tool that allows users to create text, photo and audio notes using virtually any device. It is available on an iPad, iPhones, iPod Touch, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, WebOS, MacOS X, Windows Desktop and Windows 8. It is free to make an account and the best part is that it automatically syncs notes, so information is available on any platform at any time. It’s perfect for note sharing and organization.

StudyBlue Flashcards

www.studyblue.com

Flashcards have always been one of the best ways to memorize material for classes. However, index cards can get to be sloppy after a while. This website allows students to create flashcards and share them with others. Additionally, students can set reminders to maintain a study schedule before a test.

Share and discuss “Online tools to boost study skills” on social media.