No. 21 women's basketball welcomes Detroit Mercy tonight

<p>Freshman guard Tori Jankoska dribbles past Dayton guard Andrea Hoover on Nov. 17, 2013, at Breslin Center. <span class="caps">MSU</span> defeated Dayton in overtime, 96-89. Brian Palmer/The State News</p>

Freshman guard Tori Jankoska dribbles past Dayton guard Andrea Hoover on Nov. 17, 2013, at Breslin Center. MSU defeated Dayton in overtime, 96-89. Brian Palmer/The State News

Photo by Brian Palmer | The State News

When the No. 21 MSU women’s basketball team returns to action Wednesday night, the Spartans will square off against Detroit Mercy at 7 p.m. at Breslin Center.

MSU (2-1 overall) is coming off of an overtime victory against then-No. 21 Dayton, and Detroit Mercy (1-3) is off from back-to-back losses against Western Michigan and Michigan.

The Spartans currently hold a 13-game winning streak against the in-state opponent, with Detroit Mercy’s last win coming Dec. 20, 1994. Coincidentally, Titan head coach Autumn Rademacher also was involved with that game as well. Rademacher, then a sophomore, scored 20 points in the 75-70 victory.

This year, the Titans feature a pair of guards averaging at least 11 points per game so far this season.

Senee Shearer is averaging 18.5 points, and Ellisha Crosby with 15.8. Crosby also is averaging nine rebounds per game.

“As you go into this year, looking at a Detroit team, who obviously, every kid on that roster probably would love to play at Michigan or Michigan State,” MSU head coach Suzy Merchant said. “It’s like their Super Bowl, its a great atmosphere, so it’s important for us to come out and make a statement.”

The Spartans will feature a couple of young prolific scorers as well. Redshirt freshman guard Aerial Powers and freshman guard Tori Jankoska are leading the team in scoring. Powers is averaging 15.7 points per game, and Jankoska is averaging a team-high 18.3 points. Senior forward and team captain Annalise Pickrel also is contributing with 15 points per game and nearly nine rebounds per game.

Recently Powers also was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week.

The game also will reunite hometown friends, Merchant and Rademacher.

Merchant and Rademacher both grew up in Traverse City, Mich. Merchant said she got to know Rademacher through pickup games and faced her father and brother.

“I’ve known autumn a long time,” Merchant said. “The one thing about her is she’s a fierce competitor and she’ll have them ready.”

Still sidelined

Junior center Jasmine Hines will be sidelined again Wednesday and for the near future.

For the past two months, Hines has been recovering from a concussion.

Merchant said Hines had another setback and was feeling light headed and nauseous again and had to miss Tuesday’s practice.

“I’m really concerned at this point, we’re two months in and it seems like there should be some kind of progress,” Merchant said. “Concussions are unique to every person so we just got to keep praying for her and hope she can get healthy and help us.”

Share and discuss “No. 21 women's basketball welcomes Detroit Mercy tonight” on social media.