MSU women's basketball leading Rice at half

<p>Junior forward Becca Mills shoots the ball Nov. 23, 2013, at the Breslin Center. <span class="caps">MSU</span> leads against Rice, 32-30 at the half. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Junior forward Becca Mills shoots the ball Nov. 23, 2013, at the Breslin Center. MSU leads against Rice, 32-30 at the half. Margaux Forster/The State News

In the final game of a four-game homestand, the No. 21 MSU women’s basketball team is in a back-and-forth matchup with Rice, leading 32-30.

The first half was headlined by the return of junior center Madison Williams. The former McDonald’s High School All-American appeared in her first game since Nov. 15, 2011. In her first three years at MSU, Williams suffered three anterior cruciate ligament tears.

Williams checked into the game with about 15 minutes left in the first half as the crowd erupted and gave a standing ovation.

She wasn’t perfect, but scored four points, as well as blocked a shot on the defensive end in only three minutes.

The Spartans got into foul trouble early with five fouls in the first eight minutes, and senior forward Annalise Pickrel had to sit most of the first half after picking up two fouls in only two minutes.

But MSU was led by junior forward Becca Mills’ eight points and three rebounds. Redshirt freshman guard Branndais Agee has five points and four rebounds.

After a season-high 16 points against Detroit-Mercy, senior guard Klarissa Bell led the passing attack instead of the scoring attack with four a assists.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball leading Rice at half” on social media.