MSU hockey drops two games at Michigan Tech

In their first trip to Michigan Tech in almost 30 years, the MSU hockey team came away with a pair of losses this weekend.

The Spartans (3-5 overall) fell 3-0 on Friday night, followed by a 3-2 overtime loss to the Huskies (3-6-1 overall, 1-1 WCHA) on Saturday.

Game one saw MSU fire a season-low 19 shots at the net, while Michigan Tech let loose 30 toward sophomore goalie Jake Hildebrand.

David Johnstone put the Huskies on the board just five minutes into the game after a turnover in front of the MSU net.

Tanner Kero and Alex Petan both found the back of the net in the third period to seal the Michigan Tech victory.

Junior forward Brent Darnell and freshman forward JT Stenglein were tied for the team lead with three shots attempted that night.

Saturday night’s game was vastly different.

Michigan Tech again got on the board early in the first period when Brent Baltus knocked a rebound past senior goalie Will Yanakeff.

But the Spartans answered less than a minute into the second period. Sophomore forward David Bondra put home a rebound of his own after a shot by sophomore forward Mike Ferrantino. It was his first goal as a Spartan.

Michigan Tech capitalized on a penalty to senior forward Greg Wolfe, and broke the deadlock with under three seconds to play in the second when Blake Pietila found Kero, open in front of the net.

Wolfe sent in a shot in the third period, and senior forward Lee Reimer was there to deflect it in the net and tie the game.

Neither team could get a goal the rest of the third period, but Petan put home a shot from the slot at about four minutes into the first overtime.

Again, the Spartans only shot the puck 19 times, tying their season low from the night before. Yanakeff made 35 saves in the contest. Before this weekend, the Spartans never took fewer than 30 shots in a game.

The Spartans have the week off before returning to the ice for a Nov. 22 clash with Western Michigan at Munn Ice Arena.

Share and discuss “MSU hockey drops two games at Michigan Tech” on social media.