U-M pres. to speak at MSU fall graduation

With a football showdown looming between MSU and the University of Michigan, it was announced on Tuesday that U-M President Mary Sue Coleman will become a Spartan — sort of — when she receives an honorary doctorate of laws degree at a December commencement.

Coleman will receive the degree after she speaks at MSU’s advanced degree commencement this semester — MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon will receive the same degree from U-M in December.

MSU’s advanced degree ceremony will take place 3:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Breslin Center.

“Coleman has a very high-profile reputation nationally for her leadership. I think it’s a good choice,” said Stefan Fletcher, MSU Council of Graduate Students president. “We share a storied history in rivalry and partnership, and this is another chapter in that.”

He said although there is a healthy and robust rivalry in sports, U-M and MSU have several key partnerships in terms of research.

MSU partners with U-M in the University Research Corridor, along with Wayne State University.

Despite beneficial partnerships, the intense rivalry might be too much for some Spartans, such as advertising senior Kaylee King, to welcome a Wolverine to campus.

“I would respect her opinion and speech but, deep down inside, I still wouldn’t want her as my speaker,” said King, who will receive a bachelor’s degree in December. “A lot of Spartans believe that, I bet.”

The U-M Office of Public Affairs did not respond to a request to speak with Coleman by press time.

“I’ve been privileged to work with (Coleman) in many ways for several years, and she has been a strong champion for higher education, for the state of Michigan, for her institution and for a diverse student body,” Simon said in a statement.

Two others will speak to students at the undergraduate ceremonies.

James Hackett, CEO of Steelcase Inc., and Sergio Marchionne, chairman and CEO of Chrysler Group, LLC and CEO of Fiat S.p.A.

Marchionne will speak to graduating students from the Colleges of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Communication Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Natural Sciences and Nursing, and Lyman Briggs College. He will receive an honorary doctorate of engineering.

Hackett will speak at the commencement for the Colleges of Arts and Letters, Education, Music and Social Science, as well as the Broad College of Business, the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities and James Madison College. He will receive an honorary doctorate of humanities.

Simon said in a statement that she is pleased to have two world leaders in manufacturing — Hackett and Marchionne — speak at commencement.

In response to receiving an honorary degree from U-M, Simon said in a previous statement that she deeply respects U-M and Coleman.

“I’m honored and grateful for this recognition from the University of Michigan,” she said. “The presence of these two great universities — and our strong relationship — is an important advantage for the state of Michigan.”

State News staff writer Derek Gartee contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “U-M pres. to speak at MSU fall graduation” on social media.