How to throw a tailgate on a budget

Gameday in East Lansing is filled with tons of green and white, rows of? houses barbecuing and students and alumni playing games outside. But there is more to a tailgate than hotdogs and drinks.? There is a lot of planning, cost and thought that goes into a? successful tailgate.? Here are some tips for hosting a memorable tailgate for the Homecoming game this weekend — without breaking the bank.

Appease your appetite

Food is a very important part of a tailgate. When buying food at the grocery store, keep in mind that fresh meat can be expensive. Instead, keep it simple and buy pre-packaged hot dogs to grill.

Set out a bag of generic-brand potato chips, chip dip and some homemade brownies, and your guests will be full all day.

Hosts can provide soda and water for guests, but tell them to bring their own alcohol, if they choose, to save money.

Decorate everything green and white

To show your support for MSU, decorate everything in green and white. Local ?convenience stores sell ?colored streamers, lights and table cloths that can be used at the tailgate.

One way to encourage your guests to show their Spartan pride is by having them wear green and white and award the best outfit with a small prize.

Play games

Make sure to have some games ready for guests who do not wish to stand and chat the whole day.?Beer pong, cornhole or passing a football are games sure to keep ?everyone entertained and excited for the big game.

Have friends chip in

While having all the ?supplies for a tailgate is important, make sure to invite friends to enjoy the festivities. Ask guests to bring food for the group or a playlist of music.

If you have roommates, everyone can split the cost and invite a mix of friends. Usually, the more people that come, the more fun guests have.

Share and discuss “How to throw a tailgate on a budget” on social media.