Dennard wins Big Ten weekly award

<p>Senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard takes down Iowa wide receiver Tevaun Smith during the game Oct. 5, 2013, at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hawkeyes are leading the Spartans 14-10 at halftime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard takes down Iowa wide receiver Tevaun Smith during the game Oct. 5, 2013, at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. The Hawkeyes are leading the Spartans 14-10 at halftime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard has been named the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Dennard had two interceptions and a career-high eight tackles in a 26-14 victory against Iowa on Saturday at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. The two interceptions mark the first two-interception game for the senior since he twice picked off Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in a win over the Bulldogs in the Jan. 2012 Outback Bowl.

Sophomore defensive end Shilique Calhoun is the only other Spartan to earn the distinction as the conference’s top defensive player this season, which he received after a two touchdown game in a 21-6 win over South Florida in September.

Dennard currently leads the Spartans with six passes defended and has been a consistent contributor in MSU’s ‘No Fly Zone’ secondary unit.

Share and discuss “Dennard wins Big Ten weekly award” on social media.