Connor McCowan begins testifying in his own murder trial

<p>Alleged murderer Connor McCowan cries during his testimony Oct. 10, 2013, at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan is accused of fatally stabbing <span class="caps">MSU</span> student Andrew Singler after getting in a fight with him over text messages Feb. 23. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Alleged murderer Connor McCowan cries during his testimony Oct. 10, 2013, at the Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan is accused of fatally stabbing MSU student Andrew Singler after getting in a fight with him over text messages Feb. 23. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Okemos resident Connor McCowan took the stand in his own murder trial Thursday to defend himself against allegations that his stabbing and killing of MSU student Andrew Singler constitutes murder.

Defense attorney Chris Bergstrom began questioning McCowan in Ingham County Circuit Court Thursday afternoon. Much of the testimony centered around text messages sent between McCowan, his sister Shay McCowan and Singler on Feb. 23 before Singler died.

McCowan is accused of fatally stabbing MSU student Andrew Singler after getting in a fight with him over text messages. Connor McCowan’s sister, Shay McCowan, was dating Singler and had told her brother that Singler had injured her that night through a text.

Connor McCowan said he often was present for arguments between Shay McCowan and Singler and would often act as mediator, he said in his testimony to the defense. He said he was “just trying to help” on the night Singler died.

“I was upset, I was mad,” Connor McCowan told the court. “I wanted him to know I didn’t like the way he was talking to me.”

McCowan has not yet taken questions from Ingham County Assistant Prosecutor John Dewane.

Check statenews.com for updates on this story.

Share and discuss “Connor McCowan begins testifying in his own murder trial” on social media.