MSU could potentially cut Izzone campout

Political science and pre-law sophomore Joey Todak cheers in the Izzone before the men's basketball team's matchup with No. 4 Michigan. MSU defeated U-M, 75-52, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013, at Breslin Center. Justin Wan/The State News
Political science and pre-law sophomore Joey Todak cheers in the Izzone before the men's basketball team's matchup with No. 4 Michigan. MSU defeated U-M, 75-52, Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013, at Breslin Center. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

The Izzone campout is a time honored tradition for students dedicated enough to be a part of the Izzone.

Despite its tradition, MSU Alumni Association Associate Director Dan DiMaggio said they are reaching out to students to see how to better improve the section for the upcoming season.

Media reports have suggested the campout may potentially be cancelled, which DiMaggio declined to confirm.

“There have been no decisions made whether it’s going to be cancelled or replaced or whether it’s going on as is,” DiMaggio said.

According to DiMaggio, the Alumni Association discusses potential changes to the campout, road trips to away games and marquee home games over the summer.

The Izzone campout offers students the opportunity to meet the players, head basketball coach Izzo, fellow members of the Izzone and earn points toward lower bowl tickets.

DiMaggio said the decision on the campout will be based around the release of the team’s schedule.

Philosophy junior Ray Ulrich said he would be disappointed if the campout was cancelled.

“I think it builds camaraderie with the rest of the people who are dedicated fans,” Ulrich said. “It already seems to be a pretty good way of getting people (to come out) and earn points if they want to get lower bowl tickets.”

“If someone doesn’t really care they aren’t going to come, but if people do care they are going to come and try to get those points,” Ulrich said.

Brandon Heins, associate director of the Izzone, said he would keep the campout if it was entirely up to him.

“I personally love the event and think it’s an awesome opportunity for students to interact with players and coaches,” Henis said. “They don’t really get the chance once the season starts.”

Share and discuss “MSU could potentially cut Izzone campout” on social media.