MSU brightens future of electric car technology

While the internal combustion engine fundamentally changed lives for individuals in the 1900s, faculty and students at MSU are working to bring about another monumental technological advancement for the 21st century through work with hybrid and electric cars.

As cars such as the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf garner increased popularity, captivating consumers with promises of eliminating fuel costs and reduced environmental impact, the need for charging stations on the road became more apparent.

That’s where Lynda Boomer, an energy and environmental engineer with the Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, said MSU is working to provide resources for electricity-driven commuters.

Boomer said after the introduction of the Volt, faculty and staff at MSU began inquiring about stations located on or near campus where they could charge their vehicles during the day. Although initial hurdles were present, including the price of stations, which can range between $4,000-$6,000 apiece, MSU made an effort to improve the existing energy infrastructure.

MSU has five public EV charging stations on campus, four are located in the public lot south of (Spartan) Stadium and one is located in the Kellogg Center parking ramp,” Boomer said.

Boomer also noted the university has 78 hybrid vehicles in its fleet and hopes new technology, including faster charging stations, will spark residents’ curiosity.

Current charging stations take about four hours to fully recharge vehicles, though new technology could allow for 20-minute jolts in the near future, according to Boomer.

As the university works to accommodate existing technology, they are remaining kinetic, promoting ongoing research into battery technology.

Jeff Sakamoto, assistant professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, continues to work on building a better battery for electric cars.

Existing batteries utilize a liquid-based organic solution, which degrades over time and is inherently susceptible to heat, Sakamoto explains.

These new batteries use a solid-state ceramic medi an, which facilitates the exchange of electrons effectively while reducing needed packaging and alleviates heating concerns, actually improving charging speeds and ?energy output with added heat. However, Sakamoto was quick to caution consumers from expecting this technology in showrooms in the near future.

“The key is to eliminate range anxiety, which to really replace the combustion engine you need to get to about 300-400 miles between recharges,” he said.

But today, electric car drivers in East Lansing have a fully charged commitment from both the university and the city. With two operational charging stations, located at City Hall and the East Lansing Public Library, Community Development Analyst Tim Schmitt said the city is open to increasing that number ?slowly through time as demand increases.

Share and discuss “MSU brightens future of electric car technology” on social media.