More Than A Game

2013 World Dwarf Games offers unique opportunity for competition, camaraderie for athletes at MSU

Australian basketball coaches and players discuss the atmosphere and togetherness experienced at the 2013 World Dwarf Games.

Photo by Matthew Pizzo | The State News

59181_wdgamesbtnf.jpg

The 2013 World Dwarf Games have given athletes from the United States the ability to connect and learn about foreign cultures from the 17 countries represented in the games.

MSU’s campus has been playing host to the games and their 400-plus athletes with dwarfism or disproportionate dysplasia throughout the week. Since 1993, the World Dwarf Games have been held every summer following a summer Olympic year.

U.S. basketball captain Willem Winkelman said all the athletes hang out after the events and forge lasting friendships.

“Sportsmanship is a big part of this event the whole week,” Winkelman said.

Bess Vrettakos, U.S. basketball coach, said the interactions between players and teams is very friendly.

“You don’t see that very often with average-stature sports,” Vrettakos said.

“Here, somebody who fouls a player stops and helps him up and gives him a hug.”

Redemption

For the Australian basketball team, the 2013 games has been eight years in the making.

The Australians lost to the U.S. in the gold medal finals by six points at the 2009 games in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Australian co-captains Sam Millard and Meredith Young said they learned from the 2009 games and this year might be their last chance to bring gold home. The basketball finals take place Saturday morning at Breslin Center.

“It’s not an opportunity that comes up every day,” Millard said.

“Returning as silver medalists in basketball — we were hailed at home — but we want to return with gold this year,” Young said.

Wednesday, the fifth day of the games, consisted of basketball, shooting and curling.

Australian basketball coach Margaret Daly said the team has been embraced with support from volunteers and organizers of the event in their first visit to the United States.

“This is the only opportunity for members of Australia to compete against their peers,” Daly said. “Very pleasing to see they have accepted us as visitors (to the U.S.).”

Pride

Despite each nation’s desire to bring gold home, sportsmanship and camaraderie among teams is of highest importance at the games — year in and year out.

“You don’t want people not to give you an inch on the court,” Millard said. “You need to respect each other — I definitely think that’s been (going) on here.”

Even though the Australian team’s trip to the U.S. was 36 hours, the games’ international athletes have had a strong following throughout the week.

“You look up into the stands and see everyone supporting you,” Millard said. “I think it gives you a great sense of pride; it’s also something that’s definitely helps you walk a bit taller.”

Glenn Pooler, Great Britain junior B soccer coach, has been fortunate to attend the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens and 2012 Olympic games in London, four UEFA Champions League finals and a heavyweight final boxing match.

Pooler has been watching all the other events throughout the week, and he said it’s unlike anything he has ever seen before.

“Fortunately, I’m 6 feet 4 inches — these are small people and they’ve empowered me as a person,” Pooler said. “I’m quite stunned with all the athletes.”

Pooler said despite playing the U.S. team in the finals on Thursday, they went out to eat together the night before, and according to him, you don’t see that at any other event.

“They might be small people, but I’m telling you — the biggest heart in the world these people got,” Pooler said. “It’s honestly an honor and a pleasure. It’s the best journey of my life.”

Share and discuss “More Than A Game” on social media.