Republicans lead in fundraising

With the 2014 elections just on the horizon, new figures detailing fundraising efforts released by both parties show Republicans, who control both the House and the Senate, are opening up a significant lead on their Democratic colleagues.

The House Republican Campaign Committee has raised $316,000 since April, nearly double the $160,000 the House Democrats raised during the same three-month period.

Over on the Senate side, Republicans garnered $291,000 in contributions from constituents, dwarfing the $24,000 raised by Democrats. Republicans currently outnumber Democrats 59-49 in the House and 26-12 in the Senate.

While the current cycle has been unfavorable for Democrats, fund balances show the two parties’ war chests are more competitive. House Republicans have just over $800,000 in the bank, while Democrats have $633,000. The Senate totals show the same trend, with the Democrats’ $408,000 failing to reach half of the $1 million Republicans have on hand.

These figures come as the 2014 election will see a guaranteed 29 open seats in the House, as Republicans aim to widen the already existing gap.

Share and discuss “Republicans lead in fundraising” on social media.