New bill could allow charitable organizations to fundraise on streets, sidewalks

Whether it’s the Veterans of Foreign Wars, or VFW, selling flowers or the Lions Club shelling out sweet treats on the streets, fundraising is a major elements which keeps some the states most giving organizations afloat.

However, after seeing townships across Michigan deal with possible restrictions, State Representative Terry Brown introduced new legislation which would allow charitable organizations to fundraise on streets and sidewalks at the discretion of local municipalities.

The bill takes aim at prior restrictions, which the Michigan Department of Transportation, or MDOT, said were illegal and the Michigan Attorney General’s Office had uncovered were punishable as a civil infraction, Brown said.

However, despite the fact that MDOT had never truly cracked down on these practices, local governments became skittish, leading to the bill.

“These types of fundraising organizations and their events are major parts of communities,” Brown said.

He added the goal should be to clear unnecessary roadblocks and give local governments the ability to determine where and when these events can take place, as they are better equipped to deal with the situations.

“My bill would allow local officials and the charities themselves to decide what’s appropriate for fundraising,” he said in a press release following the bills introduction.

Julia Palmer, president and CEO of the Capital Area Humane Society, said she was unaware their were restrictions in place, but that she supported the measure to aid non-profits.

“It would be nice to have the freedom to accept gifts from individuals in public places,” Palmer said.

Events like off-site adoptions and events like Walk for the Animals, help to generate funds for the solely gift-driven organization.

Brown expressed confidence in the bill, saying it had garnered support from conservatives, moderates and liberals all the same.

“Everyone wants to volunteer and support these groups,” he said.

Share and discuss “New bill could allow charitable organizations to fundraise on streets, sidewalks ” on social media.