Mich. lawmakers debate purpose of Stand Your Ground law

In the wake of George Zimmerman’s acquittal and the subsequent outrage from organizations such as the NAACP, calling for justice in the death of Trayvon Martin, some members of the Michigan Legislature are questioning whether existing law would create a similar case here in Michigan.

The Self Defense Act of 2006, otherwise known as the Stand Your Ground law, permits individuals who fear impending death, significant bodily harm or sexual assault, to act with deadly force in order to protect themselves. However, individuals must not be trespassing or committing a crime themselves, a caveat to prevent criminals from invoking the protection, according to Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

Jones, who worked on the law as a state representative in 2006, said his previous employment, first as an officer and then as a sheriff, drove him to help victims of crime.

“While working in law enforcement, I developed a strong belief that all citizens should have the right to defend themselves from vicious criminals,” Jones said.

Inspired by a case in Dimondale, Mich., where a home invader was detained after being struck by a jar full of pennies in self-defense, later sued the couple whose home he was breaking into. Jones noted the law was resoundingly supported and he believes it doesn’t require alterations.

“At the time, the law was overwhelmingly supported by both parties and signed into law by a democratic governor,” he concluded.

However Robert McCann, the communications director for the Michigan Senate Democrats, feels the law needs a second look.

“The Stand Your Ground law is certainly something that deserves a review in light of what happened in Florida,” McCann said.

He added the review would ensure the law is working properly, and Senate Democrats are willing to hold discussions on the law.

Steve Dulan, an attorney with the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, said the most recent self-defense law made things easier for victims by eliminating a mandate that required victims to attempt retreat before acting with force.

“Michigan’s self-defense law is extremely simple,” Dulan said, adding that as a former infantry sergeant, one of the first things he learned was to not turn your back to an impending threat.

Dulan, who also is a professor of firearms law at Cooley Law School, said citizens have become more interested in obtaining their concealed weapons permits in the last few years. There are around 400,000 active permits in Michigan, meaning nearly 5 percent of the adult population has an active permit, according to Dulan.

Share and discuss “Mich. lawmakers debate purpose of Stand Your Ground law” on social media.