Lawmakers discuss safety of hydraulic fracturing

State lawmakers are looking to bring greater transparency and safety to hydraulic fracturing, also known as fracking, which has become a lightning rod for controversy in recent years.

This comes as Encana, a Canadian energy producer, intends to drill 500 additional natural gas wells in Michigan, prompting legislators to push for greater regulations on the books.

Hydraulic fracturing is the process of pumping large quantities of water and sand along with various chemicals into the earth and pressurizing the components in an effort to crack shale, which releases natural gas or oil reserves. The oil or gas released is pumped back through the well along with the used water, processed, separated and stored in tanks for later transport.

“This goes well beyond politics; it’s about preserving the Great Lakes way of life,” said Nic Clark, the Michigan director of Clean Water Action.

Although fracking has taken place in Michigan since 1952, with more than 12,000 wells drilled, according to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, or DEQ, Clark and his counterparts in the Michigan Legislature see an increased need for regulation. Chiefly among his organization’s concerns is water usage, which can escalate into millions of gallons per well, according to Clark.

State Representative Sarah Roberts, D-St. Clair Shores, along with several members of the democratic caucus contend the increase in fracking coupled with techniques such as horizontal fracking, which sends wells along longer lateral distances, signals a need for greater regulation within the state.

“Horizontal fracking is taking things to a whole new level, going as far as 10,000 feet and using millions, and potentially billions, of gallons of water,” Roberts said.

Roberts also expressed concern with the more than 900 potential chemicals found in a given well.

Clark said the water used in fracking cannot be recycled back into the ecosystem, forcing the contaminated substance to be stored in underground tanks or in previously tapped underground wells. Several chemicals also are classified as known carcinogens, which are dangerous to Michigan’s watersheds, according to Clark.

Hal Fitch, the oil, gas and mineral chief for DEQ, said although the department is open to greater transparency and safety measures, they believe fracking is properly regulated as is.

With 53 active or pending permits to drill within the state, Fitch said proper safety measures such as ensuring proposed sites pose no serious environmental risks and posting all sites online with information on the procedure have left Michiganians safe.

To date, there have been no reported incidences of environmental damage related to fracking in Michigan. Fitch also noted horizontal fracking has the potential to replace 10-20 vertical wells.
“We feel as though we are addressing these concerns already,” Fitch said.

Two bills associated with the legislation also aim to grant local municipalities and citizens an opportunity to voice their concerns. HB 4904 would allow counties and townships to regulate fracking operations, something DEQ contends will create an inconsistent regulatory system, while some local governments might lack the proper resources to review the technical aspects of the wells.

JoAnne Beemon, co-founder of the environmental advocacy group Don’t Frack Michigan, said her group is behind the legislation, even as concerns still exist with the underlying system.

“You cannot regulate fracking, the only thing you can do is stop it,” she said. “It’s not clean, it’s not safe, it’s not economical, it is a disaster.”

While similar efforts to regulate fracking have failed, Roberts and her colleagues are hopeful the legislation will find new support when the House reconvenes after summer break.

Share and discuss “Lawmakers discuss safety of hydraulic fracturing” on social media.