Lansing secondhand store Dicker and Deal offers old charm, modern variety since 1973

<p>Stacey Potter, manager of  Dicker &amp; Deal Second Hand Store, picks up a TV cable for a customer on July 19, 2013, at the store&#8217;s location at 1701 S. Cedar Street in Lansing. It is the second-oldest store in the Lansing area. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Stacey Potter, manager of Dicker & Deal Second Hand Store, picks up a TV cable for a customer on July 19, 2013, at the store’s location at 1701 S. Cedar Street in Lansing. It is the second-oldest store in the Lansing area. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Dicker and Deal, the second-oldest secondhand store in Greater Lansing has been around since 1973. In many ways, the store is a throwback to a simpler time.

Store manager Stacey Potter said the store has a lot of character and it’s a truly different shopping experience.

“Basically, we’re Wal-Mart times 10,” Potter said. “Anything you could buy anywhere (else), you can get it here.”

Lansing resident and store employee Maria Neil shopped at the store with her grandfather and uncle before she began working there.

“It’s awesome, some of the things you can find in here — you would actually think some of the things on display would be found in a museum,” Neil said.

Dicker and Deal offers items varying from jewelry and guns to furniture and tools.The store began in a small corner of the building and has expanded, now filling all three floors with merchandise.

Potter said the store is kind of like a maze and people get lost just walking around.

“I love it here,” Neil said. “We get a lot of customers — we have so much stuff.”

According to Potter, they see people from all walks of life who come through the store.

“Anywhere from people who are way out on their luck to guys in three-piece suits with $20,000 rings.” Potter said. “We see it all.”

Neil said the store offers great customer service and is much more calm compared to the pawn shop shows on television.

Dimondale, Mich. resident Josh Houghtaling said he visited the store to sell his ex-girlfriend’s engagement ring. Though he got less than he expected for it, Houghtaling said he was satisfied.
“I’d rather shop here than a corporate store,” Houghtaling said.

“A lot of customers, they come in and they like what they see,” Neil said. “When they leave, they are happy and satisfied.”

Share and discuss “Lansing secondhand store Dicker and Deal offers old charm, modern variety since 1973” on social media.