Sparrow sponsors mile race for kids

<p>Kids run from the starting line at the beginning of the Sparrow Michigan Mile on June 1, 2013, at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing. Kids under the age of 13 participated in the mile run in order to promote healthy living. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Kids run from the starting line at the beginning of the Sparrow Michigan Mile on June 1, 2013, at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing. Kids under the age of 13 participated in the mile run in order to promote healthy living. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Thousands of children around the Lansing area got moving and stayed active during the 2013 Sparrow Michigan Mile this past Saturday at Cooley Law School Stadium.

This annual mile race is geared toward kids 13 and under, with a kids sprint that occurred at the warning track of the stadium, designed for the younger children six and under.

Katie Hubbard, coordinator of the Michigan Mile, said the goal of this event was to promote physical activity and a healthy lifestyle for kids.

“This is a fun run and walk event, so kids can either choose to walk or run,” Hubbard said. “Every child receives a finisher’s mile medallion, so that everyone who participated can feel special. We try to reward every individual’s accomplishment no matter how fast they ran or what place they finished.”

Lansing resident Bob Sackrider said so many kids, including his son, trained for a few weeks for this event at their local elementary school.

“Teachers would track their miles, handing the kids a little trophy for every mile they complete to get them excited about running specifically and being physical in general,” Sackrider said. “This event keeps the kids active — they get to see so many other kids do the same thing, so it builds excitement.”

His son, Sam Sackrider, a 10-year-old student from East Olive Elementary School in St. Johns, Mich., said he trained hard for this event, running a mile each day for the past few weeks.

“Having all the competition around me pushed me to run really hard and beat my old time from last year,” Sam Sackrider said.

This years event also included visits from Lansing Lugnuts mascot Big Lug, Raindrop the Clown — who crafted balloon animals for the children, a face painting artist and of course, Sparty.

Hubbard also mentioned that every participant could have redeemed their Be A Tourist in Your Own Town, or BATIYOT, voucher in their race bags for a Free Passport to BATIYOT and have some fun exploring over 60 area attractions with their family after the races were over.

Lansing resident Amanda Kirchen said this is her fourth-straight year attending this event and enjoys the atmosphere this day brings for her family.

“I like it because it keeps the kids active, healthy and they are not watching TV all day,” Kirchen said. “They get out here and get to run.”

Share and discuss “Sparrow sponsors mile race for kids” on social media.