Pursuit of art

<p>East Lansing resident Amelia Larson works on a painting June 14, 2013, in the bedroom of her co-op home. Larson, a recent <span class="caps">MSU</span> graduate, does art for other people based on commission. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident Amelia Larson works on a painting June 14, 2013, in the bedroom of her co-op home. Larson, a recent MSU graduate, does art for other people based on commission. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

For some art is a life long passion.

“I’ve been doing art since as long as I can remember. When I was a little kid it was my favorite thing to just draw pictures all the time,” East Lansing resident and recent graduate from MSU, Amelia Larson said.

She remembers her dad saying “It was funny because (the drawings) actually looked like stuff.”

It started as a hobby, and evolved through middle school and high school art classes, with a few college courses after at MSU. It was high school, however, when she realized she could sell art in order to make a profit, something she wishes to do throughout the rest of her life.

She quotes Oscar Wilde, in his statement that “art is useless,” explaining that art serves no purpose but said “It’s still important in its own right as a means of human expression.”

“Visual art is just kind of another means of storytelling,” she said.

As a creative writer, the storytelling is important to her and something she likes to tell through her work.

“My favorite thing to (paint) is like people and facial expressions,” Larson said. “It’s always interesting to me to see how much of a narrative you can communicate just through a single image.”

Share and discuss “Pursuit of art” on social media.