City, rotary club to honor war hero with downtown monument

<p>Lt. Skinner</p>

Lt. Skinner

The city of East Lansing and the East Lansing Rotary Club are teaming together to construct a monument honoring a former East Lansing resident, U.S. Marine Corps 2nd Lt. Sherrod Skinner, who is one of two Congressional Medal of Honor recipients in the Tri-County Region. The monument will be installed in front of the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road.

Patrick Boog, an East Lansing- attorney and member of the Rotary Club, said the monument for Lt. Skinner, who was born in Hartford, Conn., will consist of two panels that will be made out of black granite.

“It will be the same material used as the Vietnam War memorials- in Washington, D.C.,” Boog said. “The monument will be six feet high and three feet wide, with all the words written in gold lettering.”

Lt. Skinner was killed in action in Korea on October 26, 1952 at the age of 22. When the enemy overran their position, he sacrificed his life by jumping on a grenade to protect his soldiers from the explosion.

Tim McCaffrey, director of Parks, Recreation and Arts in East Lansing, said they started raising the funds for the monument late in 2012, which currently stands at $7,500. The purchase of the monument, installation and associated landscape will cost around $30,000.

East Lansing Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett, who also is the president of the East Lansing Rotary Club, said it’s important we take the time to recognize the service and sacrifice of the individuals who served in our armed forces and particularly Lt. Skinner.

“A monument is important because it not only gives us a way to educate the community, but whenever you’re walking in or out (of) the Hannah Community Center, you’ll be reminded that there has been members of our community who have stepped up and answered the call of duty to serve in our armed forces in the U.S.,” Triplett said.

Share and discuss “City, rotary club to honor war hero with downtown monument” on social media.