Former MSU defenseman Krug to make NHL playoff debut

Torey Krug #47 of the Boston Bruins skates with the puck against the Pittsburgh Penguins at the TD Garden on April 3, 2012 in Boston, Massachusetts.  Photo courtesy of Steve Babineau/NHLI via Getty Images
Torey Krug #47 of the Boston Bruins skates with the puck against the Pittsburgh Penguins at the TD Garden on April 3, 2012 in Boston, Massachusetts. Photo courtesy of Steve Babineau/NHLI via Getty Images —
Photo by Steve Babineau | and Steve Babineau The State News

As a junior defenseman in 2012, Torey Krug lead the Spartans to their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2008. Now a member of the Boston Bruins, he’ll have a similar opportunity as they take on the Rangers in the second round of the NHL playoffs Thursday.

Krug was called up from the AHL’s Providence Bruins Tuesday after compiling 13 goals and 32 assists in 63 games this year in addition to three assists in the AHL playoffs.

Krug decided to forgo his senior year at MSU last year, two days after being eliminated from the NCAA Tournament by then-No. 1 seed Union.

His departure was felt by the MSU hockey team last season, as they finished with a 14-26-3 overall record and 9-18-1 against CCHA teams. In Krug’s final year, the Spartans finished 19-16-4 and 14-11-3 in conference play.

As a Spartan, the 2012 CCHA Player of the year and two-time CCHA Best Offensive Defenseman totaled 26 goals and 57 assists for 83 points in 114 career games.

The Boston Bruins will take on the New York Rangers Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

Share and discuss “Former MSU defenseman Krug to make NHL playoff debut” on social media.