Construction season hits E.L.

<p>Workers gather around a tunnel near Main Library on May 10, 2013, at the West Circle Steam Loop Segment 2. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Workers gather around a tunnel near Main Library on May 10, 2013, at the West Circle Steam Loop Segment 2. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Just in time for the kickoff of summer classes, the season’s slew of construction projects has begun in full force; and economics junior Garrett Simonis is dreading it.

With the start of new city projects, such as the repaving of Grand River Avenue, and the continuation of projects on Bogue Street and West Circle Drive, Simonis said he has deemed on-campus navigation nearly impossible.

“It makes it extremely difficult to drive through Michigan State’s campus, and it’s honestly so confusing,” Simonis said. “If you’re not from Michigan State or you don’t live in the area, you won’t understand.”

At the Construction Junction meeting last Thursday, held by MSU Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, project leaders proposed plans for on-campus construction projects for the summer and upcoming academic year. After each proposal is presented, it must be held to vote before the Board of Trustees before it is approved.

Breaking new ground
Among several other campus projects, renovations to Spartan Stadium were discussed.

If approved, the project would focus on the north end zone, adding recruitment offices and bathrooms on the north concourse and upgrading locker room facilities, among other improvements.

Greg Ianni, MSU’s deputy athletics director, said the project, which has been on the radar for months, would cost about $24.5 million in revenue and donations.

“We need that space to attract prospective student-athletes for all sports, not just football,” Ianni said. “The space we’re housing our visiting team in is an embarrassment to the university. We’ve just got to get up to speed and create a space that’s usable on game day for our guests and our team.”

Upon approval this summer, the project could close the eastbound traffic lane on Red Cedar Road. Since he will be taking a summer class in Wells Hall over the summer starting Monday, Simonis said the blockage could pose a problem.

“It’s in the dead center of campus,” Simonis said. “There’s construction (already) on both sides.”

Several residence halls will be receiving a facelift as well. Butterfield Hall will close next month until June 2014, and Landon and Yakeley halls will be majorly remodeled. The Yakeley and Landon halls project includes new study areas, a new lobby on the east side and an elevator inside of Landon Hall, and is set to start in June.

Construction fun
Two of the largest projects on campus — the West Circle steam loop and the intersection reconstruction on Bogue Street — will wrap up on Aug. 16.

Andy Linebaugh, the construction representative on the Bogue Street project, said the project was driven by the safety of drivers and pedestrians, which is put at risk by the roundabout near the Business College Complex.

“It’s a real hindrance to pedestrian movement,” Linebaugh said. “It’s an uncontrolled intersection for pedestrians.”

Karen Zelt, the communications manager for Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, said the construction will put traffic signals in place, which will include voice-automated recordings for visually impaired pedestrians.

“(The intersection is) particularly dangerous for people with disabilities to navigate, so it will be a different intersection,” Zelt said.

As for the West Circle project, Beal Street will be open for traffic in the beginning of June.

Not so grand river
Although it isn’t considered an on-campus project, construction has taken over Grand River Avenue as well.

Kari Arend, a spokeswoman for the Michigan Department of Transportation, said the repavement project reaches from Bogue Street to Hagadorn Road. She said the update is geared toward following regulations outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

“Overall, it’s a resurfacing process,” Arend said. “They’re aiming for changes to the intersection along the corridor to widen those corrugated strips.”

When it comes to projects that restrict traffic, Simonis said it seems as though it is not widely advertised.

“Nobody knows it’s coming; everyone’s just shocked when it’s right there,” he said. “The East Lansing population subsides by about half (in the summer), but for the people who are here, it’s an extreme inconvenience.”

Construction Junction meetings are held the first Thursday of every month and are open to the public. For more information about upcoming projects or to track the status of current construction sites, visit construction.msu.edu.

View MSU Construction Summer 2013 in a larger map

Share and discuss “Construction season hits E.L.” on social media.