Update: Weekend damage to Sparty statue totaled $300

Update: The beloved Sparty statue’s cleaning following this weekend’s unwelcome paint job in University of Michigan colors cost nearly $300. The statue itself is valued $10,000.

The famous Sparty statue should be properly cleaned ahead of MSU’s Green-White spring game, despite being defaced with University of Michigan colors some time last night or early this morning, according to MSU police.

MSU police Sgt. Shaun Mills said the statue was emblazoned with a spray painted maize “M” on its chest and blue on its helmet and right shin sometime between 6 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday.

He said MSU Landscape Services typically use a chemical spray to remove paint from the statue, an event he said “unfortunately” happens several times a year.

Athletics director Mark Hollis tweeted a thanks to those who cleaned up the paint early this morning with an additional tweet reading : “#Spartan Statue has been restored to its bronze finish. During the cleaning, the blue & yellow paint mixed together and turned green.”

The last recorded vandalizing of the beloved statue took place in March with Valparaiso gear, including a sign and helmet, ahead of the school’s game against the MSU men’s basketball team.

Share and discuss “Update: Weekend damage to Sparty statue totaled $300” on social media.