Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Snyder approval unaffected by Right to Work

In the most recent Michigan State of the State Survey, or SOTS, released by MSU’s Institute for Public Policy and Social Research, President Barack Obama received higher approval, whereas Gov. Rick Snyder remained at about the same percentile compared to past surveys.

Economics professor and conductor of the SOTS survey Charles Ballard said Obama’s high score reflects a continued boost because of his election campaigning.

With Snyder’s continuous positive ratings around 35 percent, Ballard said the researchers added more questions about issues that might affect their views on Snyder’s performance.

The main survey was given based upon a four-point scale of Obama and Snyder’s work in office being labeled as excellent, good, fair or poor, Ballard said. The survey also included a section on right-to-work views.

“People have learned enough about (Snyder), either they like him or they don’t,” Ballard said. “We asked about what (right-to-work) would do to the economy on a five-point scale.”

Collective bargaining, supported by Obama, is a heavy issue on the hearts of Michiganians. Collective bargaining gives everyone a voice and a chance to hammer out their rights, said Ray Holman, Legislative Liaison with the UAW Local 6000.

“When you limit those rights, it really affects people and this is probably one of the main reasons Obama is favored so much,” Holman said. “Collective bargaining and unions in general help out all people, whether they are in a union or not, by bringing up overall work wages.”

About 42 percent of those surveyed said it might help the economy, and 41 percent said it might hurt the economy, Ballard said.

Share and discuss “Snyder approval unaffected by Right to Work” on social media.