Severe weather a dud for the area, light to moderate rain expected

<p>A tornado watch is in effect for much of lower Michigan, including <span class="caps">MSU</span>, until 6 p.m.</p>

A tornado watch is in effect for much of lower Michigan, including MSU, until 6 p.m.

Photo by Storm Prediction Center | The State News

Update, 2:40 p.m.: The severe weather East Lansing was expecting today now is looking like a dud of a storm.

The tornado watch for Ingham County, including MSU, was canceled around 2:20 p.m., said Brandon Hoving, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

He said the East Lansing area is looking at light to moderate rain that will continue late into the night until it is forecasted to let up.

“The area of rain extends all the way back into Illinois and Missouri,” he said. “It’s not done yet.”

The severe weather looks as if it will move more toward the east side of the state, just north of metro Detroit, Hoving said.

Update, 12:30 p.m.: Thunderstorms are expected to roll into East Lansing within the hour with steady rain and wind gusts up to or greater than 40 mph, said Brandon Hoving, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

He said additional thunderstorms are forecasted to develop later this afternoon or early evening with heavier rainfall. The area remains under a risk for severe weather.

Much of lower Michigan is expected to receive one to two inches in rain today, he said.

Update, 10:55 a.m.: The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has posted severe weather safety tips in preparation for today’s severe weather threat.

Update, 10:10 a.m.: A tornado watch is in effect for most of lower Michigan, including MSU, until 6 p.m.

Primary threats include several tornadoes possible, damaging winds up to 80 mph and large hail. According to meteorologists’ discussion, the development of supercell thunderstorms appear possible.

Update, 9:55 a.m: Meteorologists currently are monitoring much of lower Michigan for a severe weather watch that is expected to go into effect within the next few hours.

According to their discussion, damaging winds appear to be the main threat. However, isolated tornadoes cannot be ruled out.

Yesterday’s stormy weather is expected to continue today with the potential for damaging winds, large hail and isolated tornadoes throughout all of lower Michigan, said Brandon Hoving, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

This morning, thunderstorms are hitting the west side of the state with heavy rain and are expected to move east toward East Lansing this afternoon, he said. It’s currently raining heavily in Grand Rapids and Chicago.

“Same old, same old, what you see is what you get,” Hoving said. “We are on the severe weather outlook today for all of (the) lower Michigan area.”

A moderate risk of severe weather is forecasted just near the area, and the weather service issued a tornado watch for parts of southern lower Michigan this morning.

He advised people to keep themselves updated on today’s forecast and to be cautious of any flooding on the roads while driving.

He also said with these storms, the Red Cedar River has the potential to reach its flooding stage in by Sunday.

This is a developing story. Keep checking statenews.com for more information throughout the day.

Share and discuss “Severe weather a dud for the area, light to moderate rain expected” on social media.