Red Cedar River expected to flood, impact sports fields

Flooding is expected this week from the Red Cedar River as all of southern Michigan continues to see heavy rain.

National Weather Service Hydrologist Mark Walton said the typical height of the Red Cedar River at about 4 feet is expected to reach up to about 7 feet by Friday.

He said minimal damage is expected on campus, although similar flooding has impacted MSU’s sports fields in the past.

“For the rest of today and tomorrow, you will see continual rain move through an additional 1 to 2 inches of rain to Friday,” Walton said. “There’s still a lot of water coming in.”

He said people should make sure to avoid getting close to the river and should not try canoeing in it because of dangerous currents.

The current weather, while not particularly uncommon for this time year, already has impacted roads near Detroit.

Drivers should be particularly careful and not try to drive through roads with flooding. Walton said of the about 100 deaths that happen each year because of flooding, 50 percent involve drivers in flooded roadways.

Walton said although flooding will last through the weekend, rain will taper off Friday and likely is to return next week “for another round.”

Share and discuss “Red Cedar River expected to flood, impact sports fields” on social media.