MSU, EL construction updates, continuing throughout summer

<p>Grand River Avenue is shown in this photo taken  April 24, 2013. The street is one of many that is under construction in East Lansing. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Grand River Avenue is shown in this photo taken April 24, 2013. The street is one of many that is under construction in East Lansing. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Kinesiology junior Emily Raymond mainly uses her car to go to work and make trips to the grocery store, but when the traffic gets backed up because of the construction, she becomes easily frustrated.

“This construction seems to be everywhere,” Raymond said. “If I am in a hurry, it’s not helpful at all.”

With the school year coming to a close, construction planners and workers are in full force to get as many projects done before students move back to East Lansing for the fall.

Karen Zelt, communications manager for Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, said students staying for the summer should expect to see a lot going on around campus because it is the best time to work because of the weather and fewer people on campus.

“We start site preparations now, but the most impactful work is done over the summer months,” Zelt said. “We plan years in advance to fit everything in that time period.”

According to the MSU Construction website, some of the projects being done during the summer include the demolitions of Morrill Hall the Botany Greenhouses, scheduled to be completed by mid-August, reconstruction of the intersection of Bogue Street and Shaw Lane, scheduled to be finished by Aug. 16, utility improvements in Brody Neighborhood and the closing of Kalamazoo Street up to Harrison Road, scheduled to be completed by Aug. 23.

East Lansing Engineering Administrator Bob Scheuerman said to help students, Kalamazoo Street, which will be fully closed on May 6, currently is closed from University Village Apartments to Clippert Street.

“We are keeping it open until after graduation so it doesn’t impact students as much,” Scheuerman said. “When it is closed, there will be posted detours on the freeway and in the surrounding area to tell people to get off at Trowbridge.”

In regards to the construction, Zelt said Infrastructure Plannning and Facilities will do all it can to help those studying for finals and families coming for graduation.

“We are very aware of exam week, graduation and move out,” Zelt said. “Project representatives from Infrastructure Planning and Facilities will work with contractors to work out schedules.”

Part of working with the contractors will be to bring the noise down to a minimum and open up any lanes that could help the flow of traffic, Zelt said.

“The goal is to be as minimally disruptive as possible,” Zelt said. “We ask everyone for patience and we know it’s frustrating, but there is a reason behind this and an end in sight.”

Students can find detours and updates about the construction through MSU’s construction website.

Share and discuss “MSU, EL construction updates, continuing throughout summer” on social media.