Emmy winner, author coming to campus for graduation

<p>Busfield</p>

Busfield

Emmy Award-winning actor Tim Busfield and best-selling author Richard Ford will be MSU’s spring commencement speakers.

Busfield, an East Lansing native, will speak to students at the 1 p.m. assembly May 3 at Breslin Center. He will receive an honorary doctorate of humanities.

International researcher Brian Harvey, who is a professor at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, also will speak at that ceremony, receiving an honorary doctorate of science.

Ford, an MSU alumnus, will speak at the 3:30 p.m. convocation at Breslin and will receive an honorary doctorate of fine arts.

Busfield’s most recognized work includes his roles on TV shows “Thirtysomething” and “The West Wing.” He also has had acted in “Field of Dreams” and “Revenge of the Nerds.”

Ford is known for his books “Independence Day,” “The Sportswriter” and, most recently, “Canada,” a New York Times’ 2012 best seller.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody said MSU typically does not compensate speakers directly, although sometimes a hiring agency is employed to choose a speaker.

He could not comment on if MSU employed an agency or if the university paid the speakers directly.

“Tim Busfield and Richard Ford have made some memorable contributions to the arts, and I’m sure their passion and dedication will inspire our graduates — who are stepping out now onto their own life stage,” MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said in an MSU press release.

Some MSU students said they have never heard of the speakers prior to being interviewed by The State News yesterday.

Previous MSU commencement speakers include Gov. Rick Snyder in fall 2012, former president of Ireland Mary Robinson in spring 2012 and best-selling author Mitch Albom in fall 2011.

The ceremonies are free to the public.

Share and discuss “Emmy winner, author coming to campus for graduation” on social media.