Damaging winds, large hail, isolated tornadoes forecasted Thursday

Update, 9:50 p.m.: In what now will be the second time in about week, the Red Cedar River is expected to spill over its banks this weekend.

The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids has issued a flood warning for the river, which is forecasted to crest at 7.1 feet on Saturday thanks to additional heavy rainfall. Minor flooding occurs when the river rises to at least 7 feet and can impact MSU sports fields nearby the river.

Severe weather remains a distinct possibility for Thursday, according to the weather service. The most likely timeframe for thunderstorm development appears after 3 p.m.

Update, 6:15 p.m.: Walt Felver, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids, said there are some storms rolling through the area right now with the potential for some pea-sized hail this evening.

He said it will rain heavily throughout the night and perhaps briefly let up tomorrow morning.

He still expects strong storms tomorrow afternoon and evening.

“We could have some very strong winds tomorrow afternoon, and tornadoes are possible,” he said.

While some showers and isolated thunderstorms are expected to break in the Lansing area this afternoon, a more significant threat of severe weather won’t occur until Thursday.

Walt Felver, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids, said the rain should begin soon and last throughout the evening. The heaviest rain tonight will be north of Lansing.

Felver expects severe storms to commence tomorrow afternoon or early evening, which could last into the night. These storms have the potential of becoming severe thunderstorms that could potentially produce tornadoes, he said.

Damaging winds and large hail also are the main threats, according to the weather service’s Storm Prediction Center.

“Pay attention to the weather tomorrow,” Felver said. “That’s what I would advise people to do — especially tomorrow afternoon.”

On Friday, the area will be hit with a cold-snap, with light snow possible that night, he said.

This is a developing story. Keep checking statenews.com for more information.

Share and discuss “Damaging winds, large hail, isolated tornadoes forecasted Thursday” on social media.