MSU loses game 2 of opening-round playoff series against Alaska, deciding match set for 11 p.m. tonight

The first round of the CCHA playoffs is back to a clean slate for the MSU hockey team after Alaska defeated the Spartans on Saturday night, 4-1.

MSU (12-24-3 overall, 9-18-1-0 CCHA) defeated the Nanooks the prior night, 2-1, with an overtime victory. Saturday, Alaska came out swinging and proved too much for MSU to handle.

About midway through the first period, Alaska’s Cody Kunyk scored a shorthanded goal. The Nanooks scored two more goals in the middle frame, and a power-play goal early in the third.

MSU sophomore forward Tanner Sorenson scored the Spartans only goal, and his second of the series.

Spartan junior goaltender Will Yanakeff took the net for the second consecutive night, and made 31 saves. Alaska goaltender John Keeney stopped 32.

The series now will head to a third deciding game, to take place at 11:05 p.m. Eastern time in Fairbanks, Alaska. The winner will advance to the quarterfinals round of the playoffs.

“I thought that in many ways, we played better tonight than (Friday) when we got the win,” MSU head coach Tom Anastos told msuspartans.com. “I thought they had momentum that we had trouble overcoming at times. They also got a power-play goal and one shorthanded — and special teams are a huge piece of success at this time of year. We just need to start preparing right now for Sunday.”

To watch highlight’s from the game, click here.

Share and discuss “MSU loses game 2 of opening-round playoff series against Alaska, deciding match set for 11 p.m. tonight” on social media.