MSU hockey's season on the line in decisive game 3 at Miami (Ohio)

<p>Senior forward Anthony Hayes falls on top of Miami (Ohio) defenseman Matthew Caito during the game on Saturday, March 16, 2013, at Cady Arena of the Goggin Ice Center in Oxford, Ohio. <span class="caps">MSU</span> lost to Miami (Ohio) 4-1 in the second game of the second round of the <span class="caps">CCHA</span> playoffs. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior forward Anthony Hayes falls on top of Miami (Ohio) defenseman Matthew Caito during the game on Saturday, March 16, 2013, at Cady Arena of the Goggin Ice Center in Oxford, Ohio. MSU lost to Miami (Ohio) 4-1 in the second game of the second round of the CCHA playoffs. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Oxford, Ohio — When the MSU hockey team steps on the ice Sunday night, its season sits on the line for the second time in one week.

The Spartans will take the ice against Miami (Ohio) in game three of the CCHA playoffs, in which the winner will advance to the CCHA championships at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit next weekend. The CCHA championships are single-game elimination: a semifinal and a final.

If MSU loses, its season will be done. If the Spartans pull out a win, Miami (Ohio) has its sights on the NCAA Tournament, as the RedHawks currently are ranked No. 3 in the NCAA.

“We just have to come out tomorrow, and it could be the last game of the year so we just have to leave it all out there and do what we can,” sophomore forward Matt Berry said. “We have a lot more to play for — they’re in the (NCAA) Tournament either so, so we have to play for the CCHA title here and hopefully get our way into the tournament.”

The Spartans are in a similar position as last weekend. MSU was in Fairbanks, Alaska, for round one of the CCHA playoffs. Similar to the Miami (Ohio) series, MSU won Friday night’s game then lost the following night.

MSU defeated Alaska 4-3 in game three after falling behind 1-0 early in the first period, and the players are using that series as an example of what they can accomplish.

“We did come in last weekend in Alaska and win game three after losing game two,” senior defenseman Matt Grassi said.

“That will be in the backs of everyone’s minds that we can do it. We’re going to face a difficult challenge, but I think all the confidence in the world in our guys and I’m feeling really good about (Sunday).”

MSU entered this weekend as the underdogs, the last place team playing the first place team on home ice. The Spartans set the standard Friday night, shutting out the RedHawks, 3-0.

Miami (Ohio) responded with a solid performance the following night and defeated MSU, 4-1.

“Starting (Sunday), we can’t lose another game for the rest of the season,” MSU head coach Tom Anastos said. “This was our last chip, and we’ve just gotta figure out everything we can do to try to accomplish a win.”

Share and discuss “MSU hockey's season on the line in decisive game 3 at Miami (Ohio)” on social media.