Investing in passport 'worth it'

As winter’s remains melt away into sun-neglected grass, students making summer travel plans are faced with two questions. Passports: to buy or not to buy? More importantly, where can you get them?

With close to 3,000 students participating in study abroad programs each year and countless others scheduled to attend pricey oversea vacations, many students, including advertising and journalism senior Ashiyr Pierson, have purchased the ever-important passport.

After traveling across the globe to more than 13 countries, Pierson is preparing to visit Italy for the second time as he studies abroad in the Mediterranean.

But before arriving in the land of pasta and olives, Pierson must renew his expired passport, an experience some find difficult.

“It just depends on what you have,” he said. “If you don’t have a certified birth certificate it can be difficult, and a lot of people don’t keep track of everything.”

Overall, Pierson said owning a passport is worth the paperwork.

“There’s a limit to the U.S., and if you want to see the world, you need one,” he said.

Office of Study Abroad, or OSA, Associate Director Cindy Chalou said students must have passports to study abroad.

“The first thing we say is that if you don’t already have a passport, you need to get one,” she said.

OSA doesn’t assist in the purchasing or application process, but it does have information posted on its website to help students.

“It’s not complicated, but students need to do it well in advance,” she said.

Students still looking to get a passport can go to East Lansing’s U.S. Postal Service, 1140 Abbot Road, with proof of U.S. citizenship, a photo ID and a completed, unsigned application. There, students are able to purchase their passports and get their photo taken between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Union post office does not participate with the passport application process.

Passports cost a total of $135 for first-time adult applicants. Renewing passports cost $110.
According to a customer service representative for the USPS, students can expect to wait about four to six weeks for passports.

Human biology senior Jacob Jarzen said he purchased his passport in high school, but he has yet to use it.

This summer, he plans to put it to use when he visits Switzerland.

“Every student should have a passport — it’s essential,” he said.

Share and discuss “Investing in passport 'worth it'” on social media.