Celebrating spring, minus the warm weather

<p>Criminal justice sophomore at Lansing Community College Martin Peterson, right, drinks Bell&#8217;s beer with Morrice, Mich., resident David Kubala on Sunday, March 24, 2013, at Crunchy&#8217;s, 254 W. Grand River Ave. There was a tapping at midnight of Bell&#8217;s Oberon beer. </p>

Criminal justice sophomore at Lansing Community College Martin Peterson, right, drinks Bell’s beer with Morrice, Mich., resident David Kubala on Sunday, March 24, 2013, at Crunchy’s, 254 W. Grand River Ave. There was a tapping at midnight of Bell’s Oberon beer.

Photo by Katie Stiefel | The State News

Although weather, especially in Michigan, can dictate how students celebrate spring, there still are ways to enjoy it, despite the unseasonably-low temperatures.

Monday’s high temperature was 10 degrees below average at a brisk 38 degrees, according to the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

After potential flurries throughout the day today, temperatures will reach highs in the 40s through the week, according to a National Weather Service meteorologist Wayne Hoepner said.

Prediction models show temperatures either staying low or gradually rising, but Hoepner said temperatures in April most likely will return to normal and range in the mid to upper 50s. In the next three months, temperatures will be higher than average.

Here are some ways to celebrate spring without shivering in the cold.

Roses are red, violets are blue

Common sights during the spring season are budding trees, sprouting fresh grass, chirping birds and colorful flowers.

Although gardens still might be frozen, MSU’s horticulture greenhouses are a safe haven for vegetables, shrubs and almost any flower other than bulbs, MSU Gardens and Greenhouse Manager Dan Bulkowski said.

“We do have one bulb that is blooming right now, Winter Aconite, which is a small yellow flower,” Bulkowski said.

Dressing for spring

It might be too cold to wear shorts and a T-Shirt to class, but businesses are ramping up for the season by replacing winter fashions with sundresses, shorts, sandals and tank tops.

“I buy spring dresses to make it seem warmer out, but now I just have to wear jackets over them to stay warm,” graduate student Kristen Grix said.

Keep calm and Oberon

Crunchy’s hosted an Oberon release party Sunday, featuring the summertime favorite often topped with a fresh slice of orange.

“People of age think of spring when Oberon is released,” Crunchy’s general manager Mike Krueger said. “They look forward to drinking on the porch in summer and know that spring is just around the corner.”

Beautifully bronze

After students come back bronzed from spring break, they might want to keep their summertime glow.

“We do get a pretty big rush after spring break,” co-owner of J2 Tanning Justin Carpenter said.
“(Students) spend time in the gym getting in shape, so they also want to go from winter pale to summer tan to complete t
heir look.”

Alley-Oop into April

Springtime might be a let-down for the snow-sport fanatics, however it is happily greeted by the skateboarders who have waited long winter months to brush the dust off their boards and start riding them outside again. It’s still cold, but outdoor activities, such as running, walking and bicycling, are less restricted now that snow and ice has melted.

“The employees and I have been getting out and boarding now that the roads are clear. The cold doesn’t matter as much as the snow did­ — the snow was the only thing really stopping us,” Modern Skate and Surf manager and alumnus Eric Schmidt said.

Share and discuss “Celebrating spring, minus the warm weather” on social media.