Bollman hired as MSU co-offensive coordinator, tight ends coach

MSU officially announced the hiring of Jim Bollman and internal changes to the Spartan football staff on Monday in a press release.

Reports citing anonymous sources surfaced last week pointing to Bollman, the former Ohio State offensive coordinator under Jim Tressel from 2001-11, was headed to MSU to take the same position.

Bollman, who won the 2002 national championship with head coach Mark Dantonio on Tressel’s staff, will serve as co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach for the Spartans. He was the play-caller for only one season at Ohio State, however.

“This is the fourth time in my career that I’ve had an opportunity to work with Jim Bollman, so there’s definitely a comfort level there,” Dantonio said in a statement. “He has a tremendous amount of football knowledge, especially on the offensive side of the ball. In addition to serving as co-offensive coordinator, Jim will coach the tight ends, and he spent three years coaching that position in the NFL. He also has long-standing recruiting ties in Ohio. We’re excited about having Jim and his family back in the MSU community.”

Dave Warner, the quarterbacks coach the previous six years, was elevated to co-offensive coordinator and now will coach running backs. The new quarterbacks coach is Brad Salem, the program’s recruiting coordinator and running backs coach for the last three seasons.

Dantonio also promoted Pat Narduzzi, his defensive coordinator the past six seasons, to assistant head coach. In 2011 and 2012 MSU’s defenses ranked were one of three teams ranked in the national top 10 in total defense both seasons.

“No one has officially held that position before on my staff, but in Pat Narduzzi’s case, it’s certainly warranted,” Dantonio said. “Pat is a great leader on the defensive side of the football, who has forged strong relationships with his players, and he’s also an outstanding recruiter. …

“I also appreciate his loyalty because Pat has been approached by several programs over the last few years and he’s elected to remain a Spartan. I know he doesn’t take this position lightly. When I’m not in the office, Pat takes control of the day-to-day operation. He’s held those duties for the last two years, but without the formal title.”

Share and discuss “Bollman hired as MSU co-offensive coordinator, tight ends coach” on social media.