Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show around corner

Look out Project Runway, the annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show is returning to the Wharton Center at 7 p.m., Sunday, March 24.

While fashion week continues to take over Europe, the Department of Art, Art History, and Design brings fashion week to East Lansing as it presents the third-annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show.

The show will include designs from MSU apparel and textile design students, who have worked on their collections throughout the semester. Pieces inspired by fashion icons from the past 50 years, as a part of FASH Forward fashion design competition in honor of the College of Arts and Letters 50th anniversary, will be included.

“Ninety-nine percent of the designs have come out of a class,” said apparel and textile design assistant professor Theresa Winge.

Winge and apparel and textile design instructor Rebecca Schuiling work together as show directors.

Throughout the past three years, Winge said she looks forward to seeing the creativity from the designers.

“I really like seeing all of the different takes on design throughout the years,” she said. “I really like when students use inspiration that’s not directly involved in fashion.”

With design inspiration stemming anywhere from nature to architecture, the collections can contain many avant-garde pieces, such as a gown in last year’s show requiring three models to wear at the same time.

Allison Brooks, apparel and textile design freshman, was one of the lucky three to walk in the uniquely-constructed gown for the show’s finale. This year, Brooks will be walking in one of apparel and textile design junior Autumn Hauer’s designs.

“I’m excited to walk in my designer’s outfit because she’s really talented,” she said.

And while the ladies might look cool, calm and collected on stage, Brooks said backstage is a completely different story.

“Backstage is pretty chaotic,” she said. “They have everyone line up and there’s over 100 girls backstage waiting for it to be (their) turn.”

While designers and models complete last-minute tasks, student director Taylor Varner and her crew work to pull together a few remaining promotional ideas, one of which include a live Twitter and Instagram feed under the hashtag, #msuatdfashion.

“It will be an hour and a half of dynamic fashion,” Winge said.

Share and discuss “Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show around corner” on social media.