The SNOscars

<p>Photo Courtesy of Columbia Pictures</p>

Photo Courtesy of Columbia Pictures

Tis the season, ladies and gentlemen, for the Academy Awards are almost upon us. Better known as “The Oscars,” the best in film will be awarded with the holy grail of entertainment. Or, so one may think. Here at The State News, the staff broke down this year in movies and voted on what really matters. Who needs film of the year while there is a “Favorite Avenger” award being handed out? That award, and more, were selected to receive the first ever, coveted SNOscar awards.

Character you would want to hang out with
Dr. King Schultz- “Django Unchained”

What’s not to love about Christoph Waltz’s portrayal of Dr. Schultz in Tarantino’s latest bloodstained blockbuster, “Django Unchained”. The beard, the clever dialogue, the taste for revenge. And where can I get an accent like that? -Adam Toolin

Runner-ups: James Bond, the Navy SEALS from “Zero Dark Thirty”

Favorite Avenger
The Hulk

In three words, Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk in “The Avengers” stole the show.
“I’m always angry.”
For many, “The Avengers” was the quintessential superhero movie. And no Avenger was a more effective crowd-pleaser than the green guy himself. -Omari Sankofa II

Runner-ups: Thor, Iron Man, Captain America

Most predictable ending
“Lincoln”

Don’t see the play Lincoln, it got bad reviews! “Lincoln” has the most predictable ending no doubt. It was a great movie, but as we all know, history repeats itself. My Grandma was so intrigued in the predictable plot of the movie that she fell asleep not once, but twice. Come on Spielberg, after Lincoln slayed Vampires, you would at least think Lincoln could shoot John Wilkes Booth this time around. -RuAnne Walworth

Runner-ups: “Argo,” “Zero Dark Thirty”

Most misleading trailer
“Silver Linings Playbook”

Whenever I watched a “Silver Linings Playbook” trailer on TV, it was all about football and dancing. I’m thinking “Sweet, a chick flick that my girlfriend can drag me to that I won’t die of boredom from, because there is manly football in it.” Was this film a girly love movie with a shot of testosterone as the trailer suggested? Heavens no. I had zero idea this was going to be a hard hitting movie about mental illness when I walked in. It wasn’t the romantic comedy I was promised, but then again, that might be a reason why I loved this movie. -Matt Sheehan

Runner-up: “Magic Mike”

Person you’d go on a date with
Male (tie)
Marius, Eddie Redmayne from “Les Miserables”

Among my friends, it’s no secret that I have a massive crush on Eddie Redmayne. The combination of his awesome hair flip, freckled cheeks and British accent could win any girl over. But unlike his character in “Les Miserables,” he doesn’t have to wander the French countryside to be my man. Yes, Amanda Seyfried, I’m talking about you. –Katie Abdilla

Jesse, Andy Samberg from “Celeste & Jesse Forever”
Whether he’s nailing a German accent or pretending to pleasure a tube of Vaseline, Andy Samberg’s character in “Celeste and Jesse Forever” has the sense of humor just about every girl looks for in a guy. Not to mention Jesse is the perfect boyfriend. He’s always there when Celeste needs him — even if that means dropping everything when she calls him to come over in the middle of the night to help her build an IKEA table. By the end of the movie, it’s hard not to be in love with Jesse. -Katie Harrington

Female
Black Widow, Scarlett Johansson from “The Avengers”

It would be a frightening date. A leathery, superhuman, frightening date. Oh but how it would be so incredibly worth it. Deep down though, there’s a sweet, wholesome girl that mother would just love to meet. Did I mention leather? -Adam Toolin

Share and discuss “The SNOscars” on social media.