The club scene

With more than 200 registered student organizations, MSU has a handful of clubs that step outside the box. Aside from the well-known squirrel watchers and Quidditch players, MSU has some other note-worthy clubs definitely worth checking out. Here are three of Spartan Nation’s most interesting clubs.

Turfgrass Club
Date of Establishment: Early 1970s
Number of members: 50
How to join: Attend meeting or email President John Parvin at jparvin4@gmail.com
A turfgrasser must have: Time domain reflectometer,
A tool that measures the amount of moisture in the ground.
Slogan: Keeping it green for 40 years
A place with great turf: Spartan Stadium

With more than 40 years of existence, the club has worked to serve as a place for networking and bonding.
“Our main goal is to allow us to network with each other,” Parvin said.
In the early 1970s, Dr. Kenyon Payne established the Turfgrass club to create a place for turf students to share educational and social experience, said club adviser Trey Rogers.

Hammocking Club of MSU
Date of Establishment: Fall 2012
Number of members: 55
How to join: Attend meeting or e-mail President Nate Schiefer at schief11@msu.edu
Next meeting: 7 p.m. Wednesday at Wells Hall Room A108
Hammockers must have: Carabiners, a metal loop used in rope-intensive activities to hold things together.
Slogan: Hammocking above the ground, listening to MSU’s sound
Great place to hammock: Any wooded area off campus

After an MSU arborist banned Nate Schiefer and Justin Cykiert from hammocking at their favorite spot, the two created the Hammocking Club of MSU so students could enjoy campus from between the trees. While Schiefer and Cykiert aren’t allowed to hang their hammocks on campus now, they are working with MSU officials to change that.

Assassins Club
Date of Establishment: December 2012
Number of members: 17
How to join: Attend meetings or email President Tristan Worthington at worthi44@msu.edu
An assassin must have: Nerf N Strike Jolt Ex-1 Blaster
A micro-blasting Nerf gun that holds two Whistler Darts and is small enough to fit in your pocket.
Great place to channel your inner assassin: Patriarche Park, 1100 Alton St.

I t was in high school when business and premedical freshman Tristan Worthington decided he and his friend loved Nerf guns so much, they should make a club about it.
“We’re really laid back,” Worthington said. “We’re not as intense as the name sounds.”
He said the purpose of the club is to promote recreational activities involving Nerf products. The club and its members do not participate in any dangerous or harmful activities.

Share and discuss “The club scene” on social media.