Residence Halls Association hosts leadership conference for students

<p>Finance senior William Adams, left, and advertising senior Vu Nguyen smile during a workshop at the Spartan Leadership Conference Feb. 16, 2013, at Case Hall. The conference was hosted by the Residence Halls Association and emphasized improving life skills. </p>

Finance senior William Adams, left, and advertising senior Vu Nguyen smile during a workshop at the Spartan Leadership Conference Feb. 16, 2013, at Case Hall. The conference was hosted by the Residence Halls Association and emphasized improving life skills.

If someone walked in late to the Spartan Leadership Conference on Sunday afternoon, they might have seen students throwing their wallet at a window, students performing the “stop, drop and roll,” and a student asking others about their style of underwear.

The Residence Halls Association’s, or RHA’s, Spartan Leadership Conference emphasized improving life skills and networking traits as the main objective of the gathering. About 50 people attended the conference, which had different skill-building sessions focused on résumé building, learning more about diversity, relieving stress and efficiently managing time.

“Spartan Leadership Conference is an opportunity to give to our on-campus and off-campus MSU students to network with each other and learn from each other by attending different programing sessions where they can learn to build some professional skills and learn to build some personal skills,” RHA Communications Coordinator Zachary DeRade said.

One of the programming sessions featured an activity proving how rasking others to do ridiculous tasks might not be a beneficial leadership technique, showing how it is important to have reasons behind asking people to do certain tasks.

The gathering was free for students, and participants received free shirts and backpacks, said DeRade, who also was the conference coordinator.

MSU Career Services representatives, LBGT Resource Center workers and student leaders made presentations at the conference.

“It’s a resource to help you with your professional personal development and leadership skills,” RHA President Kelcey Gapske said.

No-preference freshman Elizabeth Vandenbil attended the conference yesterday, looking to help improve leadership qualities since she is part of many different groups on campus, including residence hall government.

“I saw this as a way to better both my leadership roles as well as just prepare myself as I look for jobs,” Vandenbil said.

Share and discuss “Residence Halls Association hosts leadership conference for students” on social media.