MSU Peace Corps lands No. 6 spot for all-time volunteers

Tuesday, Peace Corps announced their annual list of top colleges and universities that produced the most volunteers in 2012. Claiming the No. 6 spot for all-time volunteers — Spartan nation.

For the past 13 years, “MSU has been a top producing school for volunteers for the governmental program.

Peace Corps Public Affairs Coordinator Jessica Mayle said she wasn’t surprised to see MSU high on the list.

“MSU has a great group of students,” she said. “We love our big universities. It’s just about finding volunteers and students committed to making a difference, not just in their own lives and communities, but the world as well.”

MSU also is ranked No. 10 for large university volunteer producers, a position that didn’t come as a surprise to Peace Corps Campus Representative Marisa Rinkus said.

“We get a lot of interest from students interested in Peace Corps,” she said. “I think MSU students have a lot to offer … We want to make sure they are well informed.”

MSU Peace Corps is holding an application workshop at 6 p.m. Feb. 20, as well as information sessions at 6 p.m. March 19 and April 17 in room 303 of the International Center.

While the application workshop is for students and graduates committed to going, Rinkus said the information sessions are helpful for students at any stage of interest.

Rinkus said optimal Peace Corps candidates are graduates who have obtained their bachelor’s degree and have volunteering experience in the area they’ll be serving. She also said it is important applicants understand the time commitment and that there isn’t a language requirement.

After attending an information session, MSU alumnus Michael Gonczar was eager to learn more.

“The more I learned, the more I was interested,” Gonczar said.

The session was enough to grab Gonczar’s attention. He currently is preparing for his Peace Corps assignment in a rural city outside of Panama City.

On Feb. 19 Gonczar begins training in Washington. The following day, he will fly to Panama for the first three months of intensive language and culture training.

“I’m really looking forward to interacting with people from different backgrounds and taking the time to learn about what their needs are and how I can use my skills,” he said.

Although Gonczar is not sure of all the details of his assignment, he said his inspiration for joining played a major role in his participation.

“I did a study abroad in Costa Rica and I felt like an ambassador,” he said. “A lot of my colleagues had preconceived notions of youth from the U.S.”

He said he felt it was necessary to break that stereotype.

“They get to meet a real American from the U.S. because we’re all not like the Kardashians,” Gonczar said.

Gonczar said his trip will help foster that change of alert others of the passion he and fellow volunteers share.
“I’m really excited to have the opportunity to work with people who are so well minded,” he said. “We all have the same passion to save the world.”

Share and discuss “MSU Peace Corps lands No. 6 spot for all-time volunteers” on social media.