Derby Vixens welcome in new season

<p>Lansing Derby Vixens Kathryn Meninga also known as Irish Justice, left, and Katie Corr also known as Psycho Hose Beast, middle, embrace as friend and Mount Pleasant resident Jessica Salisburg, right, watches during the Skatie Hawkins Dance on Feb. 23, 2013, at the Loft in Lansing. Natalie Kolb/The State News </p>

Lansing Derby Vixens Kathryn Meninga also known as Irish Justice, left, and Katie Corr also known as Psycho Hose Beast, middle, embrace as friend and Mount Pleasant resident Jessica Salisburg, right, watches during the Skatie Hawkins Dance on Feb. 23, 2013, at the Loft in Lansing. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Photo by Natalie Kolb | The State News

The Lansing Derby Vixens, Lansing’s own flat-track roller derby league, hosted a Skatie Hawkins Dance on Saturday to kick off their third full season on the track.

Ryan Knott, better known on the track as “Rexxx Manning,” the director of communication and head coach of the A-team skaters, was excited about hosting the first-ever event to start their season.

“We wanted to host a social event that was more relaxed where fans can meet skaters and just have fun,” Knott said. “We average about 1,000 people per game when we play over at the Lansing Center. I haven’t heard one person regret attending the game — they love it.”

The event took place at The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, where skaters and league coaches mixed and mingled with derby fans, enjoying the music of DJ Dita von Beats and The Smoking Jackets. With a silent auction available as well for fans to help raise money for the Vixens, the night served as a way to promote the derby team and start the season.

The team has become extremely close, a family so to speak, “A-team skater” Erin Moody, “Inzy Mood” said.

“I’ve been skating for a little over a year now with the roller derby team,” Moody said. “My sister started roller derby in Traverse City, which is what sparked my interest into it. So, I looked into Lansing to see if they had a team and they did.”

Moody isn’t the only participant who heard about roller derby from a family member, sparking interest to become involved. MSU alumna Kerri Runions, or “Scare Bear,” was first introduced to this sport when her sister and fellow MSU alumna Holly Nester, or “Ida Stroya,” began playing.

“I’m a non-skating official, (or) NSO,” Runions said. “My sister started playing right after I graduated from MSU last spring, and I wanted to see what it was all about.”

The Lansing Derby Vixens also are committed to their community as much as the sport.

“We have donated about $20,000 to local charities as well as donate our personal time for volunteering,” Knott said.

Katie Corr, or “Psycho Hose Beast,” one of the Vixens, is an active part of the team.

“The most amazing thing about roller derby is the community,” Corr said. “Misfits and outcasts all can come together and support each other, becoming a tight knit group.”

Share and discuss “Derby Vixens welcome in new season” on social media.